Perhentian Island, Malaysia

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

As a tribute to my motherland, Malaysia, my favorite island of all time (so far) - Pulau Perhentian, and my appreciation of the long-lasting friendship with my group of wonderful friends since my undergraduate days, I shall post some pictures and share fond memories of my 3 trips to the pristine Perhentian Island way back in the mid 90s..when life was not so complicated, yet! .. as well as information and pictures on Perhentian Island itself.

Pulau Perhentian (Perhentian Island)

Pulau Perhentian, meaning 'stopover island', is not to be missed. Situated 21km off the coast of Terengganu, it consists of the islands of Pulau Perhentian Besar and Pulau Perhentian Kecil. Covered by unspoilt jungle, windswept palms, powdery white beaches and surrounded by sapphire blue waters, Pulau Perhentian is a sanctuary for fishermen, migratory birds and of course, discerning holiday-makers.Located just off the edge of the Pulau Redang Marine Park, Perhentian's coral-fringed waters have excellent underwater seascapes for snorkelling and scuba diving.

Arrangements can also be made for island cruises, and boats can be hired to go exploring for private bays and secluded coves. A trip to these tropical islands is also a must for those who enjoy windsurfing, sailing, canoeing and deep-sea fishing.

Of the two islands, Pulau Perhentian Kecil is more geared towards backpackers. Here, you'll find a wide range of budget options for both food and accommodation. Pulau Perhentian Besar, on the other hand, is more developed and therefore offers better facilities. Nevertheless, there are chalets, dormitories and campsites on both islands.

(Above info fr. Tourism Malaysia & pics from Google images)

The above are pictures from my 3rd trip to PP to celebrate our final undergrad year and submission of thesis. This was truly a fun trip that further cemented the friendship bond for this group of friends. We snorkeled all day and as much as I feared deep waters, I had the time of my life! I remembered we stayed at Paradise chalet. The Mama chalet next door made the best ever lemonade and till this day, we remember it so fondly.

These were the good, glorious and free-spirited student days I cherish very much.

4 comments:

The Fancy Lady said...

wow that looks so amazing dammit your making me wanna go on vacation lol i really need one!

nyonya pendek melaka said...

hi *Fancy Lady*, Perhentian island is really beautiful. Visit it one day if you do come to Malaysia. You won't feel like leaving after that :D

Velva said...

Stunning! Your photos tell the story of journey. I loved it. Very nice blog post.

petite nyonya said...

Thanks Velva!